top of page
System Navigators

Finding the resources you need can be challenging. There are hundreds of programs and services that can support caregivers in Alberta. Rather than trying to list them all, this guide is meant to assist you in finding the people who can help you navigate the system and give you an idea of the types of support that may be available. For help finding specific resources, please contact Caregivers Alberta.

Please note that Caregivers Alberta is not responsible for the content of these external sites and does not monitor other websites for accuracy. In addition, these links will take you to websites that may have different privacy, security, and accessibility policies than Caregivers Alberta's websites. These links do not imply endorsement or support of any programs, products, or services.
Caregivers Alberta is a charity that aims to empower caregivers and promote their well-being. Their Caregiver Advisor can provide supporty, advocacy and linkages to services and resources. 
Phone: 780-453-5088
Toll Free: 1-877-453-5088

Connecting with system navigators is a great place to start when looking for information for your caregiving employees. 

Look for organizations that focus on the needs of your caregiving employee (eg. MS Society, Canadian Mental Health, Spinal Cord Injury Alberta, local senior centre). These agencies often provide information, advocacy, education and navigation.
Work with your health care team to look for supports. Hospital social workers and case managers can be a helpful resource. You can refer your caregiving employee to Health Link for referrals to home care or respite services. 
Phone: 811
Distress or crisis lines are usually available 24 hours a day by phone. They are a great resource for employed caregivers you need to talk to someone about their situation. Many provide information referrals and some have a separate community directory. 
Outside Edmonton and Calgary, contact your local Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) office. Many have community support workers and may offer information and referral supports, as well as home support programs and counselling. 
Alberta Supports provides information and referral to benefits and supports for low income, disability, work place training and more. Support available in person or by phone.
Contact: 1-877-644-9992

Here are some areas that you may seek out more information and support for your caregiving employees. 

A number of community organizations offer low-cost or sliding fee scales for counselling.
Federal and provincial programs offer some financial supports (disability tax credit, family caregiver tax credit, and/or EI benefits, compassionate care leave). Subsidy and benefit programs may help you or your care recipient.
Types of Resources
Contact your local senior centre to find out about what services and supports they  offer (e.g. information referral, outreach worker, volunteers).
Specialized clinics can offer extra support (eg. Pain Clinic, Specialized Geriatric Clinic, Mental Health Services).
There are a number of alternative housing options available; group homes, seniors housing, home modification, community living supports, and continuing care.
There are many agencies, online and in person, that provide education on how to care, information on specific illnesses, offer group support and provide information on self-care.
Non profits, lawyers, and government can offer support for legal/financial document writing (personal directive, enduring power of attorney, wills). Seek general personal planning advice from legal, and financial specialists.
Local, and private agencies offer support to individuals wishing to remain at home (eg. home maintenance, food delivery, transportation, home care, equipment/adaptation, home modification).
Respite gives caregivers some time off. The most common types are day programs and home care which are available through Health Link or from private providers. Overnight respite and weekend camps for children with disabilities are other options.
bottom of page